Keeping an eye on the investment
30 January 2023
Government and the private sector have invested more than R8-billion in TASEZ to support South Africa’s automotive manufacturing capacity.
The recent oversight visit by representatives from the dtic, the national and provincial departments of Treasury and the Gauteng Department of Economic Development demonstrates TASEZ’s importance as one of the key implementors of government’s industrial development policies.
Some of the significant achievements of TASEZ during itsconstruction phase included:
- The creation of more than 5 000 job opportunities in phase 1
- Over 2 000 direct job opportunities created in theoperational phase
- Over R1-billion procurement spent on 214 local small,medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs)
- More than 300 SMMEs benefitted from accredited trainingprogrammes
- Procurement spent on SMMEs, with TASEZ’s assistance,resulted in the improvement in Construction Industry Development Board (cidb) grading.